- Lot Size10,455 sqft
- Home Size1,824 sqft
- Beds3 Beds
- Baths3 Baths
- Year Built1964
West St. Paul is a first ring suburb adjacent to St. Paul which offers the tranquility and beauty of the country as well as the diverse amenities of the city. Lush green fields, lakes, and wildlife are minutes from a vast array of stores, restaurants, theaters, and educational institutions. We are a full-service city that offers a high quality of life and is rich with opportunities for enjoyment, growth, and development.
West St. Paul has 15 parks, an indoor ice arena, the Regional Athletics Center dome, and a community swimming pool. The City is also home to Dodge Nature Center, Southview Country Club, and Thompson County Park. West St. Paul boasts a superior public educational system, along with some great private schools. We have a diverse, well-maintained housing stock available with an established housing program to maintain the housing quality. There are over 600 businesses in West St. Paul, including a light industrial park. South Robert Street is a busy thoroughfare that has approximately 30,000 cars travel it per day. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the population of West St. Paul is 19,504
Schools West St. Paul | Mendota Heights | Eagan Area School District #197 is a highly rated, public school district located in Mendota Heights, MN. It has 5,009 students in grades PK – 12th grade with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 61% of students are at least proficient in math and 61% in reading.
In the early to middle 1800’s the Sioux Native American villages of Kaposia (on the east) and Mendota (on the west) bordered the area that is now West St. Paul. The first permanent settlers arrived in 1848. Many of the names of these settlers are still familiar in West St. Paul.
By 1855 the area was platted. In 1858 the lands directly across the river from present-day downtown St. Paul were incorporated as the original City of West St. Paul, presumably taking the name from the West Bank of the Mississippi River as opposed to being located west of the capitol, St. Paul. That municipality, which was legally unrelated to the present-day West St. Paul, got into financial difficulties and ceased operations.
During 1887, the City of South St. Paul was formed; comprising generally what are now South St. Paul and West St. Paul combined. Disputes regarding representation resulted in a split in 1889 when present-day West St. Paul was incorporated. West St. Paul and South St. Paul share fire and DMV services but operate individual police departments.
In 1907 the City Charter was adopted providing for a mayor and seven council members. In 1962, the City Charter was amended to provide for a city manager. The mayor and council members form the legislative body and the city manager performs the administrative duties as provided by the Charter.