- Lot Size
- Home Size917 sqft
- Beds2 Beds
- Baths1 Bath
- Year Built1968
Hopkins is a dynamic community of over 17,000 residents and conveniently located just 13 minutes west of the Twin Cities. Hopkins offers the advantages and conveniences of a large city, but also the homey small-town feel. Travel any street in Hopkins and you will see and feel the vitality.
The City of Hopkins has always had the determination to continue creating a spirit of community. A place where people feel safe, are always treated with respect, cultural heritages are celebrated, quality parks, great housing opportunities, and outstanding schools.
The City of Hopkins has 19 parks and nature areas for family fun. Including Downtown Park, Hopkins Pavilion, and a community garden.
The Community Garden is in Valley Park in the Westbrooke/Nine Mile Creek area. This is a place where residents can lease a 20-foot by 20-foot garden plot. This was also seen as a chance to bring people together.
Schools The City of Hopkins is served by The Hopkins School District #270 and serves about 8,000 students. The district includes five elementary schools, two junior high schools and one high school. Residents often name education as one of the main reasons they are proud to live in Hopkins. With over 20 community education facilities, some nationally-recognized, Hopkins is rich in educational opportunities.
The origins of Hopkins began in 1887 with the building of the Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company, later called Minneapolis Moline. Minneapolis Moline once employed most of the Hopkins residents. The West Minneapolis Land Company was also founded in 1887, to build housing for the Minneapolis Moline factory workers. In 1893, 41 residents submitted a petition to the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners, asking that the village be formed. Following an election, the community was then incorporated as the village of West Minneapolis.
The original village was comprised of three square miles. It has been enlarged by annexation to its present size of about four square miles. The population at the time of its incorporation was 1,105.
In 1928, the name of the village was changed to Hopkins for Harley H. Hopkins, one of the first homesteaders and the community’s first postmaster. The first mayor was Harley Hopkins’ son, Chester L. Hopkins.
The Village of Hopkins adopted its City charter on December 2, 1947, effectively becoming the City of Hopkins.